threenagers: the myth and the beauty

7:45 PM

 
Threenager, noun, a 3-year-old child who embodies the characteristics of a teenager. (The Standard Myra Dictionary)


She popped her head up on her blue cot in the quiet hustle of nap-time, where most children roll and whisper and hum, and a few dedicated souls dream through the afternoon with loud snores. 
 

Her little head wouldn't lie down. “Miss Myra,” she whispered as I sat with my coffee, “Miss Myra! I love you.”

Across the room another small head came up, “Me too! Me too! I love you too!”


It was the first time since the beginning of school that I had heard those precious words from these girls. My heart was filled, now a mere seven weeks away from the end of the final semester. Spring was coming quickly, and most of these children wouldn't be coming back. Preschool was sending them on to Kindergarten or transferring them to their sibling's school. 
 

I have never raised a three-year-old, but I have cared for them for many years. And my heart has never felt the way it has when I'm sitting among them. On the way home from school that day, resting my tired feet on the floor of the car and driving mindlessly, I heard the broadcasters banter their usual nonsense on the radio. 
 

“So there's a new term, apparently, called a threenager. It's when a three-year-old grows a personality and throws tantrums like an entitled teenager. What an age! This is a whole new ballgame compared to the terrible twos. People are saying they've never seen anything like it.” 
 

“Obviously you've never worked in a preschool.” I thought to myself.


As strange as it may sound, I have fallen deeply in love with three-year-olds. That age has captivated me and made me see life, personality, and priorities in an entirely new light. Three-year-olds posses a heavenly peace and a tormenting passion. They fight with no holds barred and love without question, all in one day, sometimes in one breath.

This week I sat on speckled blue carpet with a little girl in my arms, rocking gently back and forth and trying to put her frantic body to sleep. She was sobbing because her shoe had gotten mulch in it on the playground. Three-year-olds have the ability to teeter between the innocence of a baby and the maturity of a grade-schooler. She sniffled into my shirt and I felt her little hand grasp my side as her eyes drooped shut. In a few hours she would be whooping and hollering and acting like she owned the world and convincing me that she knew what the word lawnmower meant when she had, in fact, no clue what it was.


But threenager seems a bit extreme and a little too far-fetched for the glorious little humans lined up in the hallway waiting for playtime to begin. There is sometimes entitlement, but not in a way that they have learned or practiced. Manipulation is a game that they are just learning how to play and we gently get to start steering their unsailed ships into selfless waters.


“Do we treat our friends with kindness?”

“Yes.”

“So what do we say when we haven’t used our hands for kindness?”


So many times in a day I get to hear those precious, forgiving voices tell eachother they're sorry. Truly sorry for their meanness, for stealing the toy, for kicking the chair. The tantrums are short lived, spark and fizz. They haven't learned how to manipulate ceaselessly and I pray they never will.

They are still innocent enough to need their shoes tied and have their boo-boos kissed. The myth is that they are older than they are. Deep within the anger, the craziness and the running bodies that sprint down hallways they shouldn't sprint down, there are just tiny, new hearts. Only three years on this earth and not quite sure what everything is yet.


They're learning how to write their letters, recognize their letters, and say the whole alphabet in a consecutive row. 
 

They're learning how to open yogurt containers and throw things in a way that they land on the playground where they intend them to land.


And when things don't go right or they don't get their way, the beauty is that they are still only three years old. The responses, patterns, habits and opinions of an adult haven't been formed yet. Their habits are just barely surfaced and I am among the privileged many who get to channel these habits into beautiful, rewarding, caring lifestyles that love as they have been loved and give with open hands. They are not yet so far from learning what is good and what is dangerous. There is no hopelessness in a preschool classroom, there is only open roads of life.


I dislike the term threenager. It condemns a child into growing up too soon and growing up into a stereotype all at once. We are prematurely convincing ourselves that this child will be defiant and preparing ourselves for the worst instead of looking with forgiving eyes on what is still being learned.

We ask them to forgive, daily. And like them our Father has asked us to show grace as if we were children ourselves. I am entering the Kingdom as a woman and yet sometimes I envy the part of Heaven which looks down on these beings and calls them the greatest among us. What a corner of Heaven their's will be.

They are not threenagers. They are three year olds, and they are embarking on the greatest journey of all, and that is the journey of life. Give them grace. 
 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe