we are angry preschoolers

6:55 PM



“I don't remember who said this, but there really are places in the heart you don't even know exist until you love a child." 
(Anne Lamott)


I spend my days in a preschool. It is a constant hum - and sometimes roar - of little hands moving and little mouths inquiring. Curious minds and half-listening ears take chances, spill juice boxes, wet the cot and dump Legos across the blue rug. We find tears in unusual corners of their hearts and snot in unusual creases of their clothes, mixed in with the ketchup, glue and playground mulch.


They hold up normal rocks and see treasures that only they could have discovered with their plastic shovels. “Can I take it home Miss Myra? Can I? It’s for my Mom.” 
They share everything they have, down to germs and offenses. 


The playground is filled with pits and ridges, booby-traps and clicks of 3-year-olds who decided not to let the last kid standing play. Even at so young an age they create their worlds and build their barricades. But simple words and smiles knock down the gates all too often. 


“He drew a circle that shut me out – heretic, rebel, a thing to flout. But love and I had the wit to win; we drew a circle and took him in!” (Markham) And they do, when reasoned with just a little, they budge and they widen their circles. Little socialites selling dropped feathers and friendship between the monkey bars, not realizing that they are cultivating kindness and growing generosity.


Anyone who works with young children knows that it takes an energy that doesn’t seem fair at times. There is more coffee than water and cotton than silk. Our clothes take a beating and heels don't go to work. But the fairness of tying a shoe for the 10th time in an afternoon isn’t mine to judge. I tie the shoe because there are little hands which can’t do it on their own, and I know that if I leave the job unfinished I am teaching them that my time is more precious than their safety. My heart is more important than their pleas and my energy more valuable than their need to burn theirs. 


How can you look in disgust at one who cannot serve themselves? 

They curl up on their cots in the afternoons, scattered through the classroom, the curtains drawn and the toys put up. All snuggled up in their blankets they fade away for a few hours of sweet rest, hugging the animals they’ve loved since birth and sucking their thumbs. But sometimes the afternoons aren’t peaceful and the rests aren’t welcome. Sometimes their parents are forgetful, and sometimes the grace we give to the moms who forgot to pack a blanket isn’t offered by their children.

I saw God last week in my classroom. 


He was sitting next to a screaming 3-year-old. Tear-streaked and red, that tiny body fought with every bit of energy she had left. She was the only one without her blanket and she didn't understand that naps can still happen without a cover. The wailing and frantic tantrums brought us into a quiet, empty classroom while the other children rolled around, unable to sleep with her screams across the hall. I took her tiny hand in mine and led her to an empty chair.


The minutes ticked by as I reminded her to take deep breaths. We sat in the fall sunshine illuminating the colorful surroundings and attempted to calm down, but with each deep breath the anger grew. It was controlling and mind-altering, Reason was not an option. And as she began kicking my shins in defiance, she began to kick at a hard part of my heart.


It was bolted up and tense, and Satan was whispering that my rope had no more knots left. My hands were slipping down as her little anger grew. But in that flickering afternoon light, I looked into her wide, terror-filled eyes and recognized myself. Behind the sweaty hair and snot running down to her mouth, I was in that pint-sized plastic chair, and God was in mine.


We are angry preschoolers. 


I am the screaming child who doesn’t see the answers and desires no consolation, and my Heavenly Father sits there and reminds me to take deep breaths. When He could walk away, when He is justified to leave me alone to my complaining, He chooses to stay. And when the tantrum is done, He lets me sit at His feet once again.

Gathered like lambs with new hope, he lets us lie in green pastures and drink cool waters when we’ve cried so much our throats are parched and we can barely see the hazy world that is outside our fear and anger.

“He will tend his flock like a shepherd; he will gather the lambs in his arms; he will carry them in his bosom, and gently lead those that are with young.” (Isaiah 40:11) 

 “Let’s get a drink, and let’s calm down.” I offered an hour later, and she finally stood up and breathed a sigh of peace. The world would go on. I still loved her. 

Tomorrow I will go back up that flight of stairs and greet the class that welcomes me in with sticky arms and half-chewed hot dogs. I will remind each one to wash their hands each time we use the bathroom, and I will watch to be sure they don’t throw puzzle pieces or pebbles at each other’s heads. And the little Lambs will wander off and becomes afraid of things they do not want or cannot understand. But when they scream they won’t know who sits behind them on the blue rug.

Yet I do.

And it is a good day to be in a preschool classroom. And it is a good day to dry tears. 

Grace,
Myra Elizabeth 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe